How to schedule or force system updates on Android devices with Knox Manage
Last updated September 22nd, 2023
- Knox Manage
By leveraging the Android Enterprise framework, Knox Manage introduced a system update feature that allows you to control when to push system updates to your fleet of Android devices.
How do I force a system update or schedule it through Knox Manage?
To force or schedule a system update:
- In your KM console, create or edit a profile.
- Under Platform, select Android Enterprise, then click Save & Set Policy.
- On the Set Policy page, under Android Enterprise, select System.
- Navigate to the System Update policy, then select Automatic, Windowed, or Postpone based on your desired update frequency.
- Click Save & Assign.
- Select a group or organization to assign the profile to, then click Assign & Apply.
This policy is applied device-wide and works on deployments running in device owner mode.
System update behavior
The system update behavior depends on Wi-Fi connectivity.
If the device is connected to a Wi-Fi network, the download occurs automatically.
If the device is using mobile data, the device user is prompted with an additional Software update screen, which requires confirmation to begin the system update. On the update screen, the following warning is then displayed:
Using mobile data to download may result in additional charges. Using Wi-Fi is recommended.
To learn more about the system update configurations, see the Knox Manage admin guide.Back to KBAs
Is this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback!