Enroll a Wear OS device
Last updated September 6th, 2023
To enroll your Wear OS device in Knox Manage, you’ll need to do the following:
Step 1 — Prepare the phone
Before you begin the enrollment process, you’ll first need to download and install two applications from Google Play. To access the required apps, you’ll need to:
- Provide your Knox Manage tenant address and a test Google account.
- On the phone, add the test Google account and open Google Play Store.
- Download and install the following apps from Google Play:
- Make sure these apps are at the latest version.
Step 2 — Generate a Wear OS enrollment token
After Galaxy Wearable Manager for Enterprise is installed on the phone, you’ll need to sign in to Knox Manage to create a device group and generate a Wear OS enrollment token. This token will be used to provision your enterprise smartwatches.
To generate the token:
- Go to Group in the left navigation menu, then click Add.
- On the Add Group page, create a new Device group.
- Once your Device group is created, go to Device Enrollment in the left navigation menu, then select Wear OS Token and click Add.
- Give the token a Name and Expiration Period, then select the device group to assign the token to.
- Click Save to return to the main list.
- Click the name of the token you just created to open the Token Details page, which contains your Wear OS enrollment QR code.
Step 3 — Enroll the Wear OS device
Once you have the Wear OS enrollment QR code generated, you can provision your enterprise smartwatches. This process simply involves using your phone to scan the QR code once, then using the same phone to enroll multiple enterprise smartwatches in succession.
Scan the Wear OS enrollment QR code
To scan the Wear OS enrollment QR code:
Display the enrollment QR code on your screen. See the previous procedure for instructions on how to view it on the Knox Manage console.
On the phone, open the Galaxy Wearable Manager for Enterprise app.
If the app presents a first-time popup, tap OK to proceed.
On the home screen of Galaxy Wearable Manager for Enterprise, enable Enterprise setup.
Capture the QR code with the phone’s camera. If the scan succeeds, QR code scanned shows on the screen below Enterprise setup.
Close the Galaxy Wearable Manager for Enterprise app.
Pair the Wear OS device with the phone
Once Galaxy Wearable Manager for Enterprise registers the QR code, you can enroll your enterprise smartwatches devices one-at-a-time. To do this:
Ensure that the Samsung Galaxy phone’s Bluetooth setting is turned on.
Launch the Galaxy Wearable application, then pair with your Wear OS smartwatch (Watch4 or later).
On the Galaxy Wearable home screen, tap Start, then confirm that the pairing number on the smartwatch matches the one on the phone. Once confirmed, the watch will begin its setup. This may take several minutes.
After setup completes, tap Open App, then, if you consent to Google’s Terms of service, tap Continue. The Knox Manage agent begins installing on the smartwatch.
When finished, the app notifies you that You’re all set. The watch detaches from the phone and begins to operate as a standalone device.
If you have another watch that you want to enroll, tap Pair another watch to repeat the same process.
Step 4 — Confirm Wear OS enrollment
After you enroll your Wear OS device, it’s a good idea to verify that enrollment succeeded and that you are able to manage your smartwatch from Knox Manage. There are three methods to verify successful enrollment, directly from the smartwatch itself.
You only have to use one of these methods to confirm that the smartwatch was successfully enrolled.
- On the smartwatch, check that Wi-Fi is turned on and that the watch is on the same network as the phone.
- Look for a notification from Knox Manage that says Updated by your admin.
- In Settings, go to Security, and confirm that a Managed device info button is present. If you see this, then your smartwatch has been successfully been enrolled.
Is this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback!