Send commands to devices
Last updated July 26th, 2023
You can send device commands to enrolled devices by user, organization, group, or device and control them remotely. For devices with Knox Workspace or Work Profile, you can select the tab of the area on the top you want to send a device command to. Available device commands vary depending on the device type. For more information on each device command, see the list of device commands for each platform.
In general, device commands take a higher priority than profile policies. However, policies take a higher priority than the following device commands: Install, Run, Uninstall, Locate the current position, and Reset SD Card. For more information, see the list of device commands.
To send device commands, complete the following steps:
- Navigate to Device.
- On the Device page, click the check box next to the device name to send a device command to, and then click Device Command.
- In the Device Command window, select the desired device command.
- For devices that have a Knox Workspace, click the target area between General and KNOX - LightWeight Knox.
- For Fully Managed with Work Profile devices, click a target area between Fully Managed Device and Work Profile.
- In the Request Command window, click OK.
Check device commands in request
Check device commands that have not been sent successfully due to network or system issues. You can resend the device commands in request or delete them individually or all together. You can also download all device commands in queue as an Excel file.
If no device command has been sent within the past six hours of restarting the device, then Knox Manage Agent requests the server for a device command and can have it resent to the device.
To check the device commands in request and resend or delete them individually or altogether, complete the following steps:
Navigate to History > Device Command in Request.
Command information in Device Command in Request is automatically deleted after three months.
Enter a request date and user ID or device name, and then click Search.
View the information of the device commands that have been found.
- To resend the device commands in request, click the check boxes of the device commands to resend, and then click Re-Request.
- To delete the device commands in request, click the check boxes of the device commands to delete, and then click Cancel Request.
To set the Knox Manage server to resend the device commands in request automatically, navigate to Setting > Configuration > Basic Configuration > Device, then set Daily retries for device commands in queue to the desired number of retries.
View device command history
You can view the device command history and related audit logs by date. You can also view the details about the results of device commands, and collect the device control audit logs for each event. For more information about audit log items, see View audit logs.
To view the device command history, complete the following steps:
Navigate to Device.
On the Device page, click a device name.
On the Device Details page, click the Command History tab.
Click a command name to view the audit result of the device command.
To view the device command logs by each platform, navigate to History > Group Command History, enter a request date and a group ID or organization name, click Search, and then click a group or organization name.
Is this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback!