Manage Scandit license
Last updated July 26th, 2023
This section describes several methods to activate and deactivate your Knox Capture license.
Get Knox Capture: Scandit Edition trial license
If you’re using Knox Capture: Scandit Edition, you need to sign in to the Knox Admin Portal in order to generate a trial license. If you don’t already have access to the Knox Admin Portal, refer to the Sign up for Knox account page. Once you’re in the Knox Admin Portal:
- Go to Licenses > OTHER KNOX LICENSES > Manage license keys.
- On the Other license keys page, click Actions > Generate Knox Capture Scandit Edition trial license key.
- Use the LICENSE NUMBER to activate your Knox Capture trial on the device or through your EMM.
Activate your license
There are two ways to activate your Knox Capture license:
- Through your EMM
- Through the License menu
Through your EMM
To activate a license through your EMM:
- Open the application configuration dialog for in the EMM console. In a typical EMM console, the app configuration (or App Config) screen opens as a pop-up window or modal.
- Paste the key within the license field. Optionally include the scanning configuration as well. Refer to Deployment for more information.
- Save the configuration.
Through the License menu
The License menu only appears in Admin mode.
To activate a license through the License menu:
- On the home screen, tap the more actions icon, then select License.
- Under Enter Knox Capture license, tap the text field.
- A popup appears prompting you to enter your Knox Capture license key. After you’ve entered the license key, tap Done.
The license screen then confirms your license is active. Note that you cannot launch the menu again until your Knox Capture license expires, to prevent the license from being overwritten.
Uninstalling the Knox Capture app automatically deactivates the license. If you install Knox Capture again, you must re-enter the license key in the License menu.
View remaining scans
From Knox Capture v1.6 onwards, if you are using the free version of Knox Capture, you can now view the number of remaining scans directly on the License page.
When 10 or fewer scans remain, the camera preview window notifies the user that the remaining scan count is low.
Deactivate a license
If a device is inactive for 180 days, its Knox Capture license assignment is automatically released. If Knox Capture records activity on the device after 180 days have elapsed, the server automatically handles reactivation.
Knox Capture offers the following ways to deactivate your license:
- Using the Device Deactivation tool
- Through your EMM
- By uninstalling the Knox Capture app
Performing a factory reset on a device does not automatically deactivate its Knox Capture license.
Using the Device Deactivation tool
Like Knox Platform for Enterprise and Knox Suite license keys, Knox Capture license keys can be deactivated using the Device Deactivation tool in the Knox Admin Portal. Note that you need a list of device IMEIs to either deactivate or keep. For steps on how to access and use the Device Deactivation tool, see How to disassociate a device from a Knox license key.
Through your EMM
If you activated your license through app configuration in your EMM, you can use one of the following methods to deactivate your license:
Push an uninstallation command for the Knox Capture app. Once the device receives the command, the Knox Capture app is removed and its license seat is unassigned.
Edit the license field in the Knox Capture app configuration. On the app configuration screen in your EMM, replace the existing license key string with DEACTIVATE and save your changes. Once the Knox Capture agent detects the new string, the license is deactivated.
Before editing the license field, verify whether you are targeting the correct devices in your EMM. Failure to do so may cause all your devices to be unenrolled from Knox Capture.
Unenroll the device from your EMM. Doing so forces an app uninstallation and releases the device’s license seat.
By uninstalling the Knox Capture app
To manually deactivate the license seat for a device, simply uninstall the Knox Capture app. The license agent then releases the associated seat for usage.
Is this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback!