Advanced App Management
On this page
Enterprises need a strong Mobile Application Management (MAM) strategy to deploy apps effectively, manage app licenses, secure apps, optimize app usage, and handle app data safely. The Knox platform provides comprehensive app management capabilities that allow IT admins to control all aspects of apps installed on a device. These capabilities can also be extended inside the secure Knox Workspace to provide a safe haven for sensitive apps and data.
Enterprises use EMM solutions to centrally configure and remotely manage apps. Knox provides a full complement of management functions, providing IT admins with the ability to:
- Install, uninstall, update, enable, disable, start, stop, or wipe data for an app
- Whitelist or blacklist the following:
- apps that can be installed
- apps that can auto-update
- apps that can use the Clipboard
- apps that can be started and stopped by users
- apps that can access the USB port
- app accounts, permissions, and notifications
- Disable or enable other apps like Google Play, Google Chrome, Voice Dialer, and YouTube
- Get info like the app code size, cache size, data size, total size, notification mode, and restrictions
- Get statistics like app launch count, component state, app focus state, CPU usage, data size, memory usage, and network stats
Unique advantages of Knox App Management
What sets the Knox platform apart from other mobile platforms are the advanced app management features not found in other solutions, providing additional advantages that enable enterprises to be fully efficient and productive.
- Clear cache data — Remove cache memory for an individual or list of apps to help optimize space and have complete control over your data.
- Set default apps by intent — Set an app as the primary app for a given task. For example, ensure your solution only uses a certain Internet browser or force your SMS service to comply with your strict company policies.
- Admin privilege — An admin can prevent the activation of another admin's app, unless the app is part of the whitelisted apps.
Advanced app black and whitelisting
- Clipboard access — Prevent access to the native Android clipboard within an app. If an app tries to use the clipboard, the content is deleted.
- USB access — Prevent user permission for one or more USB devices to be used by an app.
- Per-app notifications blocking — Prevent status bar notifications for an app and choose to block either text, sound, or both.
- App widgets — Allow only approved widget packages into your Knox Workspace container, and view them in launcher mode on a Samsung device.
Granular app control
- Silent app side loading — Silently install any app without user interaction or permission.
- Disable app components — Enable or disable a specific package component such as the activity, receiver, service, or provider class.
- Battery optimization — Whitelist apps from Google's Doze mode, app standby or power saving mode.
- App force stop and launch — Force stop any app including background processes and system apps.
- App focus — Monitor any app and receive a notification if a user leaves the window of a whitelisted app.
- Change app name or app icon — Change an app's package name and icon.