Unsupported COM and CL Workspaces
Starting with Knox 3.0 in Android O, we launched Knox Platform for Enterprise (KPE). KPE is a super set of Android Enterprise. As you are working to support KPE, we wanted to ensure that in the interim, Samsung customers can continue to deploy the previous Knox Workspace. Those Workspace deployments are commonly referred to as Container Only Mode (COM) and Dual Persona or Corporate Liable (CL) solutions.
Knox Workspace support plan
For existing or new fleet deployments on the supported devices listed below, Samsung Knox ensures continued support to our customers for these Workspaces.
In Market Devices
For all in-market device models, previous Knox Workspace deployments will continue to be supported until the device’s end-of-life. Knox Workspace Container Only Mode (COM) and Dual Persona solutions are fully supported for Note 9, and earlier devices. Note 9, S9 will be fully supported for all OS updates including Android Q.
New Flagship Devices
Starting from the 2019 Samsung Galaxy flagship device (S10):
- Knox Workspace Container Only mode is not supported on the S10 and later devices.
- Knox Workspace Dual Persona or Corporate Liable mode will continue to work on the S10.
- Customers will NOT be able to create COM on the 2019 Samsung Galaxy flagship devices.
- Samsung will promote the following KPE alternative use case scenario: Work Managed Device with Knox features (DO+ Knox License)
- Customers will be able to create COM on Note 9 and earlier devices.
Starting from the 2019 Samsung Note flagship device (Note 10):
- Knox Workspace Container Only mode is not supported on the Note 10 and later devices.
- Knox Workspace Dual Persona or CL mode is not supported on the Note 10 and later devices.
- Customers will NOT be able to create Workspace Dual Persona on 2019 Note flagship and later devices.
- Samsung will promote the following KPE alternative use case scenario: Knox Workspace on Fully Managed Device (DO+PO+Samsung Knox License)
- Customers will be able to create Workspace Dual Persona on the 2019 Samsung Galaxy flagship and earlier devices.
Customer X has deployed the previous Knox Workspace COM on Samsung Galaxy S7, is now going through a device refresh and planning on purchasing Samsung Galaxy S9. Customer X would like to deploy KPE on the new Samsung Galaxy S9 but cannot because their EMM vendor has not integrated KPE yet. This customer will be able to deploy Knox Workspace COM on the newly purchased S9 and will be fully supported until S9 device end of life. Customer X then purchases the 2019 Samsung Galaxy flagship devices next year. By this time Customer X’s EMM vendor has integrated KPE and now Customer X can deploy KPE on the new flagship device.
Check if your device supports COM and CL Workspaces
When creating your COM and CL containers, the
createContainer method will throw a
Creation Failed 9999 error code when it fails to create the workspace.
Is this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback!