Lock and unlock devices
When a device locks, contact information (company name, phone number and Email) displays within the lock screen to assist the device user unlock their device. Additionally, the device's locked status displays within both the Knox Configure Dashboard and Profiles tab. For information on locking multiple devices in one operation using a properly formatted CSV file, go to: Lock devices in bulk.
To lock a single device:
- Select Devices from the left-hand navigation menu and select the DEVICES tab.
- From the list of displayed devices, select the checkboxes of those target devices you intend to lock.
- From the ACTIONS drop-down, on the top right-hand side of the screen, select Lock device(s). A Lock selected device(s) screen displays prompting the admin to specify how contact information is displayed to the device user to unlock their device.
- Select the contact information displayed on the device to its user once locked. The following options are available:
- Default: Contact information associated with the assigned profile - Displays the default contact information associated with the device's assigned profile
- Add custom contact information - Adds additional fields to the Lock selected device(s) screen where custom Company name, Phone and Email can be entered for the locked device. Ensure the custom contact information represents the end user's contact resource if the device is actually locked.
- Select CONFIRM to commit the locked device contact information and generate a password that must be used by the user to unlock their device. to commit the locked device contact information and generate a password that must be used by the user to unlock their device.
- From the Devices screen, select the Device ID link of the locked device to confirm the device's locked Status and obtain the Password required to unlock the device. This is the password communicated to the user when you are ready for them to unlock their device.
- When ready to unlock the device and restore full operation back to the user, use the ACTIONS drop-down and select Unlock device(s). An Unlock selected device(s) screen displays.
- Select CONFIRM to restore functionality back to the user with the configuration defined with their device profile.
If necessary, administrators can lock up to 10,000 devices in a single CSV bulk lock operation.
To bulk lock devices:
- Select BULK ACTIONS from the bottom of the left-hand navigation menu.
- Browse for a properly formatted CSV file containing the device IDs you intend to lock. If needed, select the Download CSV template link to utilize an existing template for easier creation and submission of the CSV file.
- Select SUBMIT to upload the file into the console. The change of device state to locked can be verified within the Devices screen by selecting the DEVICES tab and checking the STATUS column. The STATUS column can be filtered to just list locked devices.
A new EMERGENCY CALL button has been added to the device providing a means of contacting an emergency resource when the device PIN cannot be provided and the device successfully unlocked.
The emergency contact designation is made by the device's IT admin using the device's Contacts > ICE > emergency contacts > EDIT menu navigation.