Create a Setup or Dynamic profile
Before creating a Knox Configure profile, decide which edition to use: Setup or Dynamic. After you choose the profile type, you can customize the settings in the Knox Configure dashboard. Ensure you have correctly specified the correct device type, as phones and tablets utilize different licenses and somewhat different settings than Knox wearable devices.
Select an edition
Select the profile edition type to utilize with the phone or tablet. If unsure of the features and benefits of selecting setup versus dynamic edition profiles, select the Feature Comparison Table link at the bottom of the screen for a full listing of the features available within each profile edition.
When considering between Dynamic and Setup edition profiles, keep in mind device-side factory resets and reboots can only be enabled on Dynamic edition Knox Configure profiles, and only when the device is in a Configured, Update pushed or Failed to configure state.
To set the Knox Configure profile type:
- In the Knox Configure console, select Profiles from the left-hand navigation menu.
- Select the CREATE A PROFILE button on the upper right-hand side of the screen.
- Specify whether the profile is intended for a phone or tablet or will be used with a wearable device.
- You are prompted to choose a SETUP EDITION or DYNAMIC EDITION profile type.
- When you have made your choice, click the SELECT button.
The setup edition is primarily designed for marketing admins to stage devices fro re-branding for their customer's out-of-box deployments. The Setup edition features:
- Purpose built appliance - Transform an off-the-shelf device into a business Kiosk by locking down the device to specific apps. Users are prevented from accessing the Settings menu. System notifications can be optionally hidden. Users can return to normal mode at any time using a predefined passcode.
- Advance device configuration capability - Change regional settings such as country, language, time zone, and auto-time during initial setup or profile update. Enable/disable network settings such as Wi-Fi Bluetooth, GPS, and airplane mode.
- Robust device updates - Remove unnecessary preloaded apps. Periodically push profile updates seamlessly, over-the-air.
The Setup edition allows you to deploy settings and profiles once with no additional incremental updates. To change a device configuration after initial policies are set, devices must be factory reset and the new policies must be re-applied. The Setup addition includes:
- Options to customize the device home screen and lock screen
- The ability to deploy company-branded booting and shutdown animation files.
- DeX support on supported device platforms
- APN support for creating a gateway between a carrier providing 2G, 3G, or 4G mobile network service and the mobile device
- Connectivity settings including:
- Airplane mode
The Dynamic edition is mainly designed for marketing admins to stage devices for re-branding their own customers out-of-the box. The Dynamic edition features:
- Over-the-air configuration - Devices turn on automatically when connected to power and receive their configuration profiles over-the-air.
- Out-of-the-box profile activation experience - Automatically provision, enroll, and configure corporate devices during initial setup and again after a factory reset.
- Rebranded software - Install specific applications automatically over-the-air and prevent users from removing specific apps. Seamlessly change app icons and names. Launch specific apps when a device boots.
The Dynamic edition allows you to dynamically push updates for settings, content, and apps. In addition to the all features in the Setup edition, the Dynamic edition also includes:
- ProKiosk mode - Create a special-purpose device by managing the following settings:
- Status bar - Show or hide the entire status bar, clock, or system icons.
- Input method - Prevent the user from changing the input method.
- Power dialog exit UI - Determine the menu items that appear when the user long presses the power button.
- Whitelist and blacklist apps - Allow or deny users from installing specific apps.
- Shared devices - Allows multiple users to use the same device without sharing data and files.
In this section, provide some basic device profile information.
- Knox version number - To locate a device's version number on the device itself, go to Settings > About device > Software info. It is important to select the correct version, as newer features are introduced frequently.
- Profile name - Enter a name not already used by an existing profile within your organization.
- Profile description - Use the optional field to provide an extended profile description to further distinguish this profile from others that may contain similar attributes,
Additional terms and conditions
Enter the following information:
- Company name
- Address 1
- Address 2
- Zip Code
- Support phone number
- Skip Google, Samsung and Carrier setup screens - Ensures Google Android factory reset protection is removed and users cannot cancel enrollment.
- Allow end users to cancel customization - If you don't select this option, devices automatically enroll in Knox Configure after the device profile has been approved.
Submitting profile information
Submitting a profile saves the changes to a profile's configuration on the Knox Configure portal. Submitting and pushing a profile saves the profile's configuration within the Knox Configure portal and then automatically pushing the profile update to applicable devices.
If the EDIT button is selected to modify a profile configuration, but no updates are actually made, only the SUBMIT button will display because there are no changes to actually "push" to the device.
Select relevant applications to utilize with your device profile.
- Highlight the applications you need.
- Click NEXT.