You need a Knox license to activate Knox services on a device. Samsung's web-based Knox Platform for Enterprise (KPE) system manages the entire lifecycle of Knox licenses including ordering, license generation, activation tracking, validation, and quantity checking.
Free / Paid features
See Knox features on Android for a full list of what features are paid or free. All features still require a license, regardless of if they are free or paid.
What license do I need for my solution?
|Knox Mobile Enrollment||Free|
|Knox Manage||Monthly or yearly|
|Knox Platform for Enterprise||Monthly or yearly|
|Knox E-FOTA One||Yearly|
|Knox E-FOTA Advanced||Yearly|
|Knox E-FOTA MDM||Yearly|
|Enterprise Edition Devices||Learn more|
Get a license
You can get a Knox Platform for Enterprise license in one of two ways:
- Directly purchasing a license from one of our resellers. For more information see Purchase a license from a reseller.
- Purchasing a device and software bundle, and receiving a license when your device provider includes a Knox license key with your purchase. If you received such a bundle, contact your supported MDM or device reseller for more details.
To purchase a license directly from a Knox reseller, do as follows:
- Go to the Knox reseller page.
- On the reseller page, in the left hand menu, select the type of license you need and the country you reside
in. The page refreshes to show a list of resellers in a results grid on the right.
- Click the link for the reseller that sells the product you need. Follow on-screen instructions to purchase a Knox license.
Activate a License
Once you have a Knox Platform for Enterprise license, you can activate it in your MDM.
- Open your MDM console.
- Register the Knox Platform for Enterprise license in your MDM console.
For example, the following image shows Knox Manage's license key page. If you use Knox manage, this page is where you enter your license key.
Activate a license without an internet connection
If your enterprise is highly regulated and does not allow communication with external servers, you can request the on-premise Knox server, which handles license verification within your firewall. Samsung charges an extra fee for this service. For more information, contact your Samsung representative or reseller, or Samsung Support, which requires a Samsung Knox Portal account.
Validate a license key
You can validate your license key as follows:
- Log into your Knox Portal dashboard.
- Enter your license key in the check license key box.
- Click the blue arrow. The page refreshes to show the status of your license key.
If you need more Knox seats (activations), you can simply contact the Knox Reseller who sold you your Knox licenses and request them to add more seats to your existing Knox license key. You do not need to get another Knox License key to enter into your MDM.
For example, if you need 100 more Knox License seats because you need to provision 100 new devices, you can contact your Knox Reseller to request 100 more seats.
If you factory reset a device without first unenrolling it from your MDM, your Knox license seat is lost. By design, the license seat is not returned automatically.
If you already wiped a device without unenrolling it from an MDM and want to restore its Knox license
seat, you can do so manually as follows:
- Log in to the Knox portal with a Knox web account that has IT admin privileges and a Samsung Knox web account +*.
- Go to the Deactivate devices toolat https://www2.samsungknox.com/en/keep-remove-devices.
- Enter the license key and the IMEI number of the devices you have wiped. Use commas to separate each entry.
1. In your Samsung Knox dashboard, in the lower left corner of the page, look for the Upgrade to a web account+ tool-tip box.
2. Click the Upgrade accountand enter your license key in the dialog box that opens.
There are two types of Work licenses based on their billing period type, namely, monthly and yearly. A monthly license renews itself every month; therefore, it does not expire unless the customer or Samsung deactivates the license on purpose or a specific expiration date is set when license is ordered in SLM.
However, a yearly license expires one year (or two years) after its activation date. If the license period is not extended with an extension order and expires, the Work container gets locked. But the data inside the container is not removed, and the user re-gains access to the container and data after the container is reactivated with an extended license.
The following limitations apply to the container when the license expires:
- If a container exists, the container is locked and inaccessible until you purchase a license and reactivate Android Enterprise work profile.
- You cannot push any Work profile policies to devices.
- All Work profile policies set in the MDM admin console are maintained and can’t be updated.