Recovering Google FRP locked devices
On this page
This section covers how to recover devices locked with FRP.
Samsung devices utilize built-in security measures to protect devices and their resident information. Factory reset protection (FRP) is one such feature auto-enabled on Android 5.0 and above devices utilizing a Google account. Once enabled, FRP only allows a user with a Google account password to factory reset and activate their device.
If an unauthorized individual tries to reset a target device, the device still requires a login using the device owner's Google username and password, so even if a device is lost or stolen, another person cannot conduct a factory reset and manipulate the device.
With enterprises, this is very inconvenient since company provided devices lock into an employee's Google account. If the employee were to leave the company, then the device becomes unusable as a company asset.
NOTE - A FRP locked device can be unlocked when enabling the Skip Setup Wizard option during device enrollment.
To utilize KME for Google FRP removal
To use KME's FRP bypass capability, complete the on a device with the FRP lock set:
NOTE - KME can only be used for Google FRP removal on devices utilizing Knox version 2.7.1 or above.
Ensure the device is assigned a KME profile with the following options properly set:
- Verify Skip Setup Wizard is enabled for the profile. This setting is enabled by default for DO KME profiles, but must be manually enabled for DA KME profiles. For more information on configuring KME DO and DA profiles, go to: Profile configuration.
- Ensure the user is not allowed to cancel enrollment (the Allow end user to cancel enrollment checkbox is unselected). This setting is disabled by default for DO KME profiles, but must be manually disabled for DA KME profiles. For more information on configuring KME DO and DA profiles, go to: Profile configuration.
- Once the device is assigned a profile with the above settings, perform a hard factory reset using a combination of external button actions (button combinations vary per device).
- After the device powers on, connect to the network. You will be prompted for a reboot.
- Perform the reboot. The enrollment will proceed without prompting for Google account login credentials.