A customer must purchase a license to use Knox Configure. As with other Knox Cloud Service (KCS) licenses, a customer can request a Knox Configure license from the sales team in their respective country. Once purchased, the customer enters their license into the Knox Configure console. A license is applied and activated automatically when a device is accepted into Knox Configure.
NOTE - When a Knox Configure license expires, the devices mapped to the expired license are automatically released from Knox Configure management control.
License utilization is global, and not restricted by regional device deployment constraints. Once you have uploaded your purchased devices into Knox Configure, you are required to create a configuration profile and select a license to ensure a Samsung Knox complaint deployment.
Two following license types are available for utilization with Knox Configure:
NOTE - Though Knox Configure currently just supports the newly introduced license types mentioned below, legacy KC licenses applied before these new types licenses were introduced will still be supported.
- Trial license - Trial licenses are intended for development and testing before going live with your deployment. Trial licenses are valid for 3 months and cannot exceed 30 devices for either Setup or Dynamic edition Knox Configure profile usage. Trial licenses can be migrated to commercial licenses upon expiration by contacting your reseller.
- Commercial license - Use a commercial license when deploying devices for commercial use with either a Setup or Dynamic Knox Configure profile. Commercial licenses must be purchased from a Knox reseller supporting your geographic deployment region.
A Dynamic edition Per seat license enable customers to revoke a license on one device to use the license, “per seat,” on another device with the same dynamic edition profile. For example, an IT admin may want to revoke an ex-employee’s license so they can utilize that revoked license on a different device using that same Dynamic edition profile. Utilizing the revoked license increases the available license count and improves license provisioning efficiency with the Dynamic edition profile.
A Setup edition Per Device Staggered license enables customers to utilize licenses more efficiently, since a customer may not initially use Knox Configure after it is purchased, or deploy devices at the same time.
Using a Per Device Staggered license type, a customer creates a Setup edition profile and assigns devices per usual. They then however select the Per Device Staggered license type and ensure each activated device has a different expiration date based on the device's activation date.
Refer to the following to assess the activation period, transfer capability, extension ability, and quantity upgrade capability of supported KC license types:
NOTE - A profile and an assigned license are now no longer linked, and each device follows the behavior of the license types they belong to. Legacy SKUs and new license SKUs can now be used together in the same profile. If necessary, a profile can be created and saved without a license assignment.
To review existing licenses:
- Select Licenses from the left-hand navigation menu.
NOTE - Devices no longer consume new license seats when re-assigned to profiles using the same license. However, devices need to be manually selected within the KC console and re-assigned the license. Therefore, you can re-assign an unassigned device to a profile and re-use a renewed license without consuming additional license seats.
- Review the following license utilization information to assess whether an existing license can be used:
- LICENSE NAME - Lists the name assigned to license upon creation or edit. The name displays as a link that can selected to review license data in greater detail. For more information, go to: License details.
- TYPE - Lists the type of license purchased. License types can be filtered as needed to drill-down to particular types, and include Setup Trial, Setup Commercial, Setup (Staggered) Trial, Setup (Staggered), Dynamic Trial, Dynamic Commercial, Dynamic (per seat) Trial, Dynamic (per seat), Dynamic Enterprise, Custom SDK, and Custom SDK (KLM). A single profile can have multiple devices using it, with each device potentially using a different license type. Select CLEAR FILTER as needed to reset the filtering preferences.
- STATUS - Displays the Active, Registered, or Expired status of each listed license. Select CLEAR FILTER as needed to reset the filtering preferences.
- PURCHASED SEATS - Lists the total number of purchased seats that can utilized with this license. This is the number prior to device assignment. With trial licenses, this number will be 30.
- REMAINING SEATS - Displays the number of seats remaining that were purchased, but not yet assigned to a device and activated.
- ASSIGNED SEATS - The assigned seat count is equal to the number of devices currently assigned a profile using the license. The assign license count increases by the same number of devices assigned a profile using the license, and decreases by the same number of devices unassigned from their profiles and using the license. The number of assigned seats displays as a link that, when selected, navigates to the Devices screen to display the device ID and profile assignments with this license.
- ACTIVATED SEATS - Lists the number of seats out of the total purchased that have been activated for utilization with a deployed device and its profile.
- ACTIVATION END - Displays the end date when license seats can no longer be assigned and activated under the terms of this listed license. When a license reaches its activation end date, the assigned count matches the number of remaining devices assigned profiles. When a license activation end date changes, a console notification informs of the new activation end date.
- Having reviewed the contents of the License screen, either use an existing listed license, Get a license, or Enter a license key.
A listed license can be selected to reviewed in greater detail.
To review license details:
- Select Licenses from the left-hand navigation menu.
- Refer to the LICENSE NAME column and select the link of an existing license to review it in greater detail.
- The License details screen displays the following:
- License Name - Lists the name assigned to license upon creation. The name can be edited if need be. The right side of the screen displays whether this selected license is currently active, registered, or expired.
- Seats - Displays the number of seats purchased with this selected license. If needed, contact your reseller to increase the number of seats. The number of remaining seats also displays along with the number both assigned and activated with a device and its profile.
- License Key - Displays the License Key used as a unique alphanumeric code to activate this specific license. Before you enter a Commercial key you should ensure the Trial key is deleted.
- Type - Displays whether the selected license is a Setup/Dynamic Trial or Commercial license. Trial licenses are temporary and subject to expiration upon the Activation End Date. Commercial licenses are perpetual and not subject to expiration. Trial licenses can also be deleted from the Knox Configure console when they are no longer required for device testing. A single profile can have multiple devices using it, with each device potentially using a different license type.
- Owner - Lists the owner email address of the enterprise using Knox Configure to configure and deploy devices using this license.
- Activation Start Date - Defines the beginning date and time a license can be activated for device license seat allocation. The Activation Start Date begins the expiration countdown of a trial license activation period.
- Activation End Date - Lists the end date of the license seat activation period under the terms of this selected license. When a license reaches its activation end date, the assigned count matches the number of remaining devices assigned profiles. After this date, this license cannot be used to assign or activate additional devices. Devices that have already been activated with this license can remain active for the remainder activation period.
- Activation Period - Lists the activation duration period for the selected license.
- Select OK if needed to save the updates to the License Name and return to the Licenses screen.
Get a license
To obtain a Trial (temporary) or Commercial (permanent) Knox Configure license:
- Select Licenses from the left-hand navigation menu.
- Select the GET A LICENSE button from the top, right-hand side, of the screen.
- Select GENERATE TRIAL LICENSE and one of the enabled options to use a trial license with either your Setup or Dynamic edition profile.
- Select FIND RESELLER to search for a Knox reseller in you specific geographic region that supports your intended Knox Configure device and profile feature set deployment.
Enter a license key
To enter a license key in order to add a license to a profile:
NOTE - If deploying an Enterprise edition device and profile, ensure the license selected has an EE icon appended to it to ensure its Enterprise edition compatibility.
NOTE - An IT admin can now add a new KLM license (for customization APIs) prior to its actual activation date. This enables the admin to optimally register the license and assign a profile and devices before the license activation date. A pop-up warning message displays stating the activation date for the license has not yet started.
- Within Knox Configure, select Licenses from the left-hand navigation menu.
- If you don't already have a license, select the GET A LICENSE button from the top, right-hand side, of the screen.
- To test your profiles, select Dynamic or Setup and select GENERATE TRIAL LICENSE.
- To deploy profiles to your users, select FIND RESELLER to purchase a production license from a reseller in your geographic region.
- If you already have a license, select the ENTER LICENSE KEY button from the top, right-hand side, of the screen.
- Enter a License name and License key. The license name is just a label for the license key, it does not impact the license functionality in any way. The license name must be unique to any other license name used with your specific deployment.
- Click ADD.
Knox Deployment App (KDA) license utilization
A license can also be assigned for use in the KDA within the Knox Configure console, as an optional step at the bottom of the Profile information screen. Only one license can be designated for the KDA, so if it consumed or expired, an admin will need to assign another one from the Knox Configure console.
If there are no listed licenses available within License drop-down menu, select the Enter License Key option from the drop-down menu. From the displayed Enter license key screen, provide a License name and License key, then select the ADD button. The newly created license is then available for selection from within KNOX DEPLOYMENT APP SETTINGS License drop-down menu.
NOTE - The License drop-down menu includes both active licenses with remaining seats and licenses that have yet to start. If selecting a license that has yet to start, an error message is displayed for the user to not utilize this license and select an active license with remaining seats.